Monday, May 13, 2013

Day 17: San Esteban Church and Convent

Our final exams are next Thursday... I can't believe we're already looking ahead to the end our of time here in Salamanca! It's been such a wonderful adventure. I wouldn't have traded this experience for anything.

This is a statue of Christopher Columbus. Rodd really like Columbus because he was 
the one who discovered the Dominican Republic. :)



Pictures of San Esteban Church and Convent:




Our group inside the church.

I love the ceilings. They are all do interesting and detailed!



Short entrance to the patio.



Tombs inside the convent!



This is a completely freestanding staircase. The first of its kind. 
All of the weight is on the base. And it's decorated with roses because of Mary Magdalene.

Staircase and ceiling. 

Staircase again.

A friend, Gazelem, and I standing by the gigantic hymn book.

This mural is for the catholic church's victory over the 7 deadly sins.

Chapel

Organ in the chapel.



I actually don't know what these are called, but they are little rooms alongside the chapel
where people can go to pray and worship. They are only open during Mass, but
they were so beautiful!



Rodd, in confession.

We even had some clergy show up as we were leaving. 




I saw this and had to try it!
Lemony milk with Cinnamon... So good!


And, of course, a pastry. :)

San Esteban has been on of my favorite sites so far! It's a different style (Baroque) than a lot of the other buildings in Spain and is full of some amazing, intricate detail! All within walking distance of our school... love that. 

No comments: